Description of project and role undertaken by Recom Solutions
Recom Solutions has undertaken the Project and Programme Management works on the refurbishment of the Grade II listed Chancellors Hotel in Fallowfield, Manchester.
The programme was completed within an intense period, with the main construction works (demolition and alteration works, bedroom refurbishments, main distribution of services) undertaken within a 12 week period. This was developed as part of the business case for the hotel.
A detailed Heritage Statement was undertaken and a plan, approved by the Directorate of Estates, was put in place which highlighted the risks associated with undertaking the works. A meticulous procedure was put in place to ensure that all elements associated with the Heritage Statement and subsequent planned works were known entities.
The complete refurbishment of the Chancellors Hotel, works included the following:
- Full M&E upgrade including fire alarm works, new boiler room and WIFI throughout
- Alteration works to provide improved DDA facilities within the hotel, including refurbishment of 2no bedrooms, lifts, communal toilets and entrance doors
- Upgrade of all 73no bedrooms and en-suite facilities
- Restoration of sash windows throughout the hotel
- Provision made for Grade II listed building consultation. Management of the process throughout.
- Lift replacement
- Full FF&E upgrade
Key issues, managed by Recom Solutions
- Extensive Programme management – due to the complex nature of this refurbishment programme, it has meant that we have had to plan a two phased approach to the works. Part of the refurbishment works will take place whilst the hotel remains open and the more intrusive works, i.e. bedroom refurbishments, will take place when the hotel closes for an 8-week period. There is no movement in the programme and so the program planning and then management of is key.
- Stakeholder Liaison – Recom Solutions facilitate joint stakeholder meetings and hold regular one to one
meetings with the end client to ensure buy in to program and that all key dates are known, so a secondary
stakeholder plan can be developed for hotel users and staff.
- Major construction works in a live environment – managing the refurbishment of part of the hotel whilst it remains open will require exceptional levels of planning and coordination, with the health and safety of staff, guests and workforce paramount. Recom Solutions have discussed this extensively with the main contractor and will ensure plans are developed, including a detailed traffic management plan for all site vehicle movements, to ensure complete segregation of site and general public